Hello Niaga®, Goodbye waste
Circular economy breakthrough: Niaga® Technology enables the elimination of carpet waste
Carpet made with Niaga® Technology:
· Is the world’s first latex-free mono-material polyester carpet that can fully be recovered to its original materials in an economically sound way
· Also works as duo-material carpet with polyamide, polypropylene and wool
· Can easily be separated by applying heat and turned back fully into its original materials
· Can be produced as carpet tiles and broadloom
· Achieves excellent fire safety performance as mono-material polyester carpet, without the use of fire retardant additives
· Uses Niaga® engineered adhesives that are tailor-made by DSM
· Is made with Niaga® equipment, now scaled up to broadloom width and commercial production speed
DSM-Niaga has developed a portfolio of new, proprietary and patent-protected technologies to fully close the loop on carpet materials, allowing them to be ‘alive, again and again’, a real circular economy breakthrough. DSM-Niaga is a joint venture between DSM, a global science based company active in health, nutrition and materials, and Niaga, a Dutch provider of sustainable materials solutions. The Niaga® technology is now commercially available to the industry enabling the elimination of carpet waste, based on well-defined pure materials without compromising quality of the carpet - on the contrary. These materials can be recovered in an economically sound way based on industrial-scale processes and turned into valuable materials that can be reused again to make carpets, and also other products such as automotive textiles.
Up till now, DSM-Niaga has focused on development and upscaling tests at its Tech Center in Zwolle (the Netherlands) using prototyping equipment. But now the Niaga® Technology is ready to take carpet production to broadloom width and commercial production speeds.
“We have proven conclusively that everything works with all-polyester, mono-material carpets made using our Niaga® Technology”, DSM-Niaga’s Chief Commercial Officer Norbert van der Nap says. “We’ve tested it in the market, worked with customers, and carpets made using our technology will go commercial in 2016”, he says. ”Moreover, we have expanded our capabilities to include polyamide broadloom carpet, polypropylene carpet and even wool carpet.”
In addition to eliminating carpet waste, carpets made with Niaga® Technology also offer various benefits to its users. The all-polyester carpets made using Niaga® Technology perform exceptionally well in fire safety and smoke tests - a vital factor in houses, hotels and offices, but also when installed in airplanes or cruise ships. While latex-based carpets release organic compounds into the air over time, Niaga® carpets are completely latex-free. Niaga® broadloom carpets also are lighter, softer and easier to handle.